Friday, February 03, 2006

knitting olympics

i have joined the knitting olympics over at yarn harlot. apparently, so have over 2500 other online knitters. but how cool is this? the idea is to cast something on during the opening ceremonies of the winter olympics on february 10th. then you have to be finished with it when the olympics end on the 26th. 16 days for this working girl to knit a whole beast of a project! i am saving my clapotis for it, as are about 20 other knitters on stephanie's list, so far. my gorgeous yarn has been hand wound and is waiting patiently for me to take it up and get it onto the new rosewood needles that both the hippie and samson keep stealing. i don't know about you, but i work best with a deadline and a bit of pressure, so i am hoping that will motivate me to get the clapotis done in the middle of all the baby knitting in my queue. if i get my gold medal on the 27th, you guys will be the first to know!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have got to check out this article in the March 2006 Discover magazine! Get this: its title is "Knit Theory" and it involves physics and knitting!! I kid you not. This woman, Daina Tailmina, knits hyperbolic spaces for visualization of different types of spacetimes (of course, embedded in 3 dimensions). It's a short article, but they do have some neat color photographs of her work. Hope you enjoy! -Tom